Friday, March 22, 2013

The race is over, but journey is just beginning.


The race is over. How was it? It was unbelievable. After almost 4 months of training I had a perfect race. I woke up very early on the morning of Sunday March 17th and I felt electric. I knew right then it was going to be a good day. The weather was perfect and I managed to time hydration and fueling just right. After over 13 miles of racing through downtown Sacramento, my training partner and I, ran into Raley Field, and with our picture up on the Jumbotron we crossed the finished line. The last few miles were hard, it hurt and in answer to the misery of our bodies we just ran faster. When we crossed the finish line, my tank was empty. Just like I wanted. I left it all out there on the road. We shaved 5 whole minutes off of our goal. As our friends and families predicted, we killed it!

 Ok, not quite Olympic golds.


For me this day was more than a race. It was finishing outstanding business from 2009, it was running to raise money for the PKD Foundation, and it was above all to prove to myself that I’m healthy and strong. To prove that I am not my disease.




Again thank you to @the_jenny who logged almost 300 miles with me. Who was patient and kind even though we often went weeks on end of seeing each other 7 days a week. Thank you to our husbands who supported us on race day and through all our training. I extend my deepest gratitude to those who contributed to my campaign to #EndPKD. The generosity of my friends and family raised $1,120 in the fight against Polycystic Kidney Disease.

Team #allthemiles on the home stretch of Raley Field.

Thank you all.

@EKurze

No comments:

Post a Comment